- Age: 18 years
- Hold a DoT Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate issued prior to 1973 or an RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence. An RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper Certificate does not qualify.
- A restricted (VHF only) Radio Operators Certificate or a GMDSS Short Range Certificate or higher grade of marine radio certificate. Candidates must also hold a valid first aid certificate.
- Ocean passage as skipper or mate of watch
- The candidate must have been fully involved in the planning of the passage, including selection of the route, the navigational plan, checking the material condition of the yacht and her equipment, storing spare gear, water and victuals and organising the watch-keeping routine
- During the passage a minimum non-stop distance of 600 miles must have been run by the log, the yacht must have been at sea continuously for at least 96 hours and the yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land while sailing a distance of at least 200 miles
- All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam
- RYA Astro Navigation Handbook
Bring with you on the day
- Sextant (these can be provided if you do not have one. We also sell the excellent Davis Mk15 sextant from stock)
- Notepad and lined or graph paper
- Duration: 5 or 7 days (five days of shore-based theory training and an optional 1 or 2 days at sea taking sights)
- Course start and finish time: 09.30 to 17.00
- Location: Classroom at Calle de Sant Magi 46, Santa Catalina, Palma de Mallorca 07013
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- Practical guide to use and care of sextant at sea
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Ocean passage planning
- Learn to use a sextant
- Examination process
- The Yachtmaster Ocean Theory Certificate is awarded on successful completion of the examination
- Following the successful completion of this course, and the submission of a sun-run-sun sight, compass check and details of your qualifying passage, you will be eligible to book an oral exam with an Ocean examiner to become qualified to skipper a yacht worldwide.